Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wheels and tires


Got some pretty slick wheels and tires for the Smurf. 15x6" sport Miata rims from a '97 I think. We wrapped them in Falken Azenis 205/50R-15's and the thing handles like it's on rails. I was under the impression that wheels are considered part of the safety equipment, but I think we might have to read the rules carefully because in very few videos do I see nice wheels on the LeMons racers. Anyway, I'll enjoy them until forced to take them off :)

UPDATE: It does indeed seem that wheels are part of the safety equipment (see rule 4.2). Wow, I wonder if we could somehow embed little motors in the wheels and have powered hubs ... hmmmm ...

5 comments:

Zandr said...

Ooh, abusing Rule 4.2, *and* a run at the Golden Neckbrace. :)

Zandr said...

And the serious Miata Geeks in the audience, already know that those wheels were from a '96M or '97STO. :)

wareham said...

Is that the passenger's side mirror stuck on the driver's side?!

Peter Secor said...

Yes, that's a passenger mirror on the driver's side. How else do you expect the aerodynamics to allow us to exceed the speed of light and still "see" behind us?

Zandr said...

@wareham: Hey, I was rather pleased that it fit.

I'll have a driver's mirror soon enough. I think we can buy a Wink on the safety budget, which would be good, actually.